“ FAIR PLAY Mecenate “ International Award
1997 - 2006
Ten years of Fair Play
From the town of CORTONA, on the occasion of the celebration of the TENTH ANNIVERSARY of the “FAIR PLAY Mecenate” International Prize, the Mayor of Cortona, the Prize jury, the board of directors of the Association which promotes the event and the Fair Play Ambassadors who are present today,
a pressing invitation to all Sports, Political, Social, Humanitarian, Religious and Military Institutions on an international scale,
everybody could work, at all levels, for the ETHICAL SENSE OF SPORT, for the call to the sound principles through a constant and deep educational action towards the adolescents and their families.
Sport as a whole and in its variety (from playful to agonistic to spectacular sports) is perhaps the only human activity that can divide and unite at the same time at any latitude, independently of all religious, cultural, racial, sexual and physical condition.
Sport may be defiled by many negative situations but it must be defended resolutely for the value that it assumes on a social level.
The function of fair play as a genuine life style must be completely recognized first of all by the world of sport itself and by their institutions on a national and international scale.
Fair Play must be considered the first fundamental rule of every discipline.
The underwriters of this document engage themselves to:
1) –The rhetoric, of which we know the limits and banalities, must be removed from our purposes to stimulate a difficult and often opposed consideration; and if on the one hand in these years many people (perhaps too many) used self-interested means of propaganda to speak about Fair Play, on the other hand this drove and is still driving us to devote our time and efforts with more conviction to work on the strengthening of these ideals, both of sport and not, to make sure that all fragments of negative events that happen every week may guide the anger and disdain of those who really believe in the true and genuine values of sport as moments of joy, human solidarity, respect towards the others, brotherhood, tolerance, into the constructive rail of an engagement to struggle for a better society against every kind of violence in sport and society.
2) – We must dedicate our passion firstly to the young, striving to understand their problems, aware of our limits but convinced that they must not represent an “exclusive” object of analysis, debates, round tables, for anybody, but they must be an active and critical subject with the right to talk, to whom we must transfer our experiences as adults, but from whom we have also to learn and understand the problems, needs, originality, critical sense.
3) – We must conceive sport as entertainment but also and above all as respect towards the others.
For this reason in sport, both played by athletes and lived by fans, the germ of violence must not be nourished, not only physical violence but also the more subtle but serious violence of intolerance.
4) – Our convinced and sincere civil and social engagement, derives from the deep conviction that sport is not outside society but a part of it. It is not like a watertight compartment, inside of which it is justified to cancel our personalities to make manifestations so different from the everyday ones, but it is also life with moments of joy and deep delusions, with sufferings and satisfactions.
5) – We want to give our contribution in the shape of a civil and social engagement that we want other people to follow in order that intelligence and reason prevail against barbarism, and comprehension and humanity prevail against violence and intolerance.
6) – SPORT is joy of living, desire to freely express oneself, stimulus to fulfil oneself through personal engagement, meeting and discussing with others, the relation with nature and social environment. It is a factor of human maturation, it helps human relationships. It is a mean of brotherliness and peace; therefore sport concurs to make our existence happier and to renew aspiration and engagement for a more peaceful and fair world. The civil cohabitation indeed, in our opinion, may be protected, as in this occasion, only by strengthening and developing democracy, the free democratic associations, and the connections between one and another. Moments of life in which many young people take interest by exalting the participation, tolerance and the critical attitude; we can give a MESSAGE to these young people, which could make them free of every non-committal temptations, that could make them responsible protagonists of the renewal of society.
7) – We hope that the modest contribution that we want to offer in order to discuss and reflect on fair play and violence, to understand its roots and struggle for its improvement, not to set aside this problem and this way of being by seeking comfort in indifference, we hope that all this may produce positive results for our young people, for ourselves, for a more genuine and joyful world, where sport has a precise role and represents an image of friendship and brotherhood in respect of the sound agonistic rules; let it be an effective antidote against violence and let us work with conviction and enthusiasm against each obstacle, hoping not to remain alone along this path .
8) – We only ask to BELIEVE, to believe in the name of this “FAIR PLAY”, that we celebrate every year, in order to be close to everyone who works to reach this aim, so that we could build a social order that could be able to overcome the big social evils.
READ, APPROVED AND UNDERWRITE
(Mayor of Cortona)
S.E. Dott. Maurizio DI PASQUALE
(President Jury Fair Play Mecenate International Prize)
DI RUSSO Roberto
(Executive President Jury Fair Play Mecenate International Prize)
(President of the Province of Arezzo)
(President of the Chamber of Commerce of Arezzo)
(Tourist Agency Manager of Arezzo and President of the Fair Play Committee of Tuscany)
(Chamber of Trade Manager of Arezzo)
(President of the Provincial Fair Play Committee)
(President of the Fair Play Mecenate International Prize Association)
and from AMBASSADORS OF FAIR PLAY
· BANFI Lino
· BRIGHETTI Barbara
· BONERA Franco (Gazzetta dello Sport)
· BORZOV Valeryi
· BOULMERKA Hassiba
· COMPAGNONI Achille
· COPPINI Ugo (President Sbandieratori Città di Arezzo)
· COSMI Serse
· COSTE Georges
· DALLARI Lorenzo
· DE VIDI Alvise
· DEL NERI Luigi
· DOMINGUEZ Diego
· FREDERICKS Frank
· KOSTADINOVA Stefka
· GALVAGNO Ferruccio
· GARDINI Andrea
· Gen. BORGHINI Emilio
· Gen. GOLA Gianni
· Gen. TINTI Sergio
· GIONCO Franco
· GONCALVES Carlos
· LANG PING Jenny
· LANZAFAME Marcello
· LIPPI Marcello
· LUCCHETTA Andrea
· MARMORINI Luca
· MAKULA Stefano
· MOSES Edwin
· MOTA Rosa
· NEGRIN Alberto
· NIGRO Daniel
· PICCININI Francesca
· PIRETTI Dino
· PORCELLATO Francesca
· RIGHI Massimo
· ROMOLINI Federico
· ROSSI Antonio
· RUDIC Ratko
· QUIROT Ana Fidelia
· SCAPIN Ylenia
· SCHERBO Vitaly
· SOTOMAYOR Javier
· TOFOLI Paolo
· TORRES Regla
· TURRINI Leo
· VELASCO Julio
· VEZZALI Valentina
· WYBERG Pernilla
· ZACCHERONI Alberto
· ZANDI Manouchehr
- CAPELLANO NEBIOLO Giovanna
- MANCUSO D’ARRIGO Laura
“ FAIR PLAY Mecenate “ International Award